2017 is shaping up to be a monumental year for Corigin Ventures. We’ve now been investing for over 4 years (35 deals) – we’ve always thought of CV as a startup ourselves, and internally we refer to this early period as our “Seed Round” – we created theses, conceived a ‘product’, tested a variety of processes, and quantified everything along the way. And while no doubt we’ve made plenty of mistakes, results have been strong with/ a >40% IRR (mostly unrealized). Beyond financial performance and brand equity, we are confident in our people, our processes, and the role we play in the market. We are extremely proud of what we’ve been able to build, and are inspired by the founders we’ve partnered with. In startup speak, we have found “Product/Market Fit,” and are thus ready to scale!
Later in 2017, we’ll be raising some outside capital (to date we have been balance sheet investors). Some of the reasons include:
- To build out our infrastructure to be better investors and provide additional value to our founder partners
- To write larger checks, and lead Seed rounds (more to come on this and what we view as a gap in the market)
- Build and leverage a strategic LP network
To support that initiative, and the next phase of Corigin Ventures (our Series A?!?!), we’re looking to double the size of our team (from 3 to 6)! We like to think we do things a little different at CV – we leverage a collaborative culture and flat hierarchy – all team members get exposure to all elements of VC life and play a meaningful role across the source-analyze-execute-diligence-support deal lifecycle, regardless of title. We don’t believe in 2-year-rotational programs or windowless rooms of cold-callers and researchers. We want all of our team members to have a founder mentality – blazing their own path, leveraging their unique skillsets, seeking out responsibility, forming strong opinions, taking risks, and continually developing personally and professionally. And they are incentivized as such – all team members are given carried interest in the fund, not just deals they are involved with.
We are open to filling a variety of roles – Analyst, Associate, Principal, and Platform/Community positions. Most importantly, we are looking to find amazing candidates, who fit with our culture, and will build the appropriate role around him/her.
Some Guiding Principles We Live By:
- We know what we know, and know what we don’t know – so we focus on what we can be the best at – Seed Stage, across Consumer, Marketplaces, and Real Estate Technology.
- With the influx of capital (including nano-VCs, Micro-VCs, family office $, foreign $, and corporate $), there is a still gap for those with the capital and capacity to lead multi-million-dollar Seed rounds. Many of the dynamics of a seed round revolve around ‘the lead’, including economics, control, and timing.
- We plan to focus the majority of our efforts in New York and Los Angeles, two rapidly accelerating ecosystems with great ratios of demand (great founders) to supply (capital), as well as being quite collaborative amongst investors.
- Our people are our most important asset, and we have some incredible people – from our core ventures team, to the greater Corigin real estate and back office teams, our founders, and network of co-investors, operators, and advisors.
- Some of our driving values: Transparency (both internally and externally), Constructive Debate, Constant and Never-Ending Improvement, 1+1> 2, Doing the Right Thing, and Deliver a Wow.
Does this sound like an environment you or someone you know would thrive in? If so…
All applications are running through Workable. Anyone is free to apply directly, but we will give closer attention to those that come through a referral. If you don’t have an immediate connection, show off your hustle and get one!
We are hiring for both Investment and Platform roles. Chose the appropriate one. For Investment roles, while we will consider a variety of backgrounds, personalities, and experience, we are predominantly looking for at least some experience in either venture or the startup ecosystem. (Sorry recent grads and finance-only folks). And we’re big believers in the benefits of diversity, so encourage your underrepresented folks to apply!
Want to get an even better idea of the inner workings of Corigin Ventures?
- Check out our website and learn about the current team.
- Catch-up on some blog posts.
- Sign up for the Open House newsletter.
- Talk to our founders.
- Speak to our former colleague, Jason Shuman, by emailing him at Shuman.Jason@gmail.com. (He also just wrote a blog post summarizing his time at CV).
We can’t wait to meet you!